Friday, September 27, 2013

My first Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro...way back when.

One day when I was browsing Craigslist and stumbled across an ad for a 1987 Audi 5000TQ for the princely sum of $250. After a brief conversation with the owner I realized that the car was only a few blocks from me in SE Portland. My roomy Tim and I walked over to check it out and found that the car was amazingly clean but wouldn't start. The owners had recently had some work done at a local shop that did not specialize in these freakishly complex cars and they had apparently not fully understood the intake system. The car had made it from the shop to their house, then failed to start. The owners didn't seem to appreciate what a jewel they had and were basically selling the car for scrap value. I immediately gave them the asking price and towed the car home behind my roomy's Vanagon. After some brief troubleshooting I disassembled the intake pipes and reassembled them paying close attention to the vacuum hoses. After I'd finished the car fired right up and idled smoothly. I put several thousand miles on that car and came away from the experience a huge fan of these cars.


These first couple pics are within a few weeks of buying the car. It came with the bored smoothy 15x6" wheels and I scored these Borbet'ss off Craigslist for a couple hundred. These 18" meshies came from a fellow VW/Audi fan in the Seattle area. I had never had any car jewelry comparable to these and couldn't resist.




No comments:

Post a Comment